Thursday, July 10, 2008

don't get the masala lassi


This afternoon we went to evergreen sweet house so that Ryan could calm her spazzy stomach with a sweet lime soda. The last time we went there, I tried getting the jalebi, pictured here, which I have figured out is basically like fried sugar. It was yummy, but Ryan refused to eat any of it, so I ended up eating 100 grams of fried sugar and feeling sick to my stomach for the rest of the afternoon (and it was only 12.5 rupees, like 30 cents!)

I also tried a sweet lime soda last time, and determined that it tasted like an alcoholic drink, so this time, I decided to try something different. I've been familiar with a yogurt lassi, which is a drink made with yogurt and ice water and flavoring. The ones I have had in the states have been flavored with mango, and are super sweet and yummy. I've had one lassi here in India so far, a sweet one, which just tasted like yogurt and sugar. It was pretty good.

Today on the menu, I saw a few different flavors, but only one that I recognized: masala. Masala means spices, or spiced, in Hindi, and as I've mentioned previously, what we westerners know as 'chai' is what Indians refer to as 'garam masala.' So, I figured that a masala lassi was something like a chai lassi, sugary spiced yogurtness.

Boy, was I wrong. Masala really does only mean spices, and some of the food is called masala as well. What I got was basically a very sour yogurt drink with some Indian curry spices mixed in. It was quite possibly the foulest thing I've ever tasted, and I felt horrible for taking one sip and then nearly retching and leaving the rest for them to throw away. I couldn't even take it with me to give to a begging child because the yogurt was getting all soggy and soaking the plastic cup.

I also picked a random item from the list of desserts and ordered that. What I ordered was rasgullah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasgulla, if you're interested) which was like a disgusting empty dumpling soaked in sugary rose flavored syrup. The texture was horrific.

I should have gotten gelatto like Ryan and Erin. That's what I get for being experimental.

No comments: