Thursday, July 3, 2008

Let's Get Physical....

This morning I went for the second time to the new gym that I belong to. This might be the most interesting cultural experience I'm going to have here - I'm the only gringa there and I have to be in constant, direct contact with the locals.

Working out in this humidity, as my new friend Agita said, is like getting double the impact with half the effort. I've only been doing it for two days, so I've yet to reap those sweaty benefits, but I'll certainly keep you posted.

Back in the States, my workouts were somewhat sporadic, but the general idea was always the same: I would stretch for a bit, then spend 45-60 minutes doing cardio - generally on the elliptical machine, and then lift just a few weights, stretch out, and be done. I was under the impression that, cardio-wise, it didn't matter how fast or hard I was going as I kept my heart rate up, continuously, for that long period of time.

Here in Delhi, that's not really an option. There are generally about 50 people in the gym, and everyone is waiting for machines. Therefore, you are not allowed to be on one machine for longer than 15 minutes.

So instead of that long endurance workout I used to have, I get to have three brief 15 minute workouts (complete with warmup and cooldown) in a row. I do this on the recumbent or upright bicycle, the elliptical, and the treadmill. Who knows if that is actually helpful or productive on any level whatsoever, but at least it feels good.

It's interesting because I think I'm becoming a bit notorious around the gym, particularly among the older women who work with the female trainer, Angela. The attendant that takes your membership card introduced me to Angela yesterday and she sort of showed me how things work around there (in the very typical Indian way, I'm coming to discover - which means I still have no clue what's going on).

Apparently she's talking about me with all of her clients, because I had a few older women come over to me today while I was working and say, "hello, Sarah. How is your workout?"

In fact, one of them told me that she used to be a bursar for Delta, and she could tell that I lived in France because of my accent. I responded to that BS politely (I don't even speak French!,) but inwardly was both confused and elated.

I am having quite a dilemma about the gym, however; it has to do with my clothing. In the past, because I hate sweating and being reminded that I'm sweating, I've chosen to wear as little clothing as possible while I'm working out - generally a tank top, a sports bra, and athletic shorts.

I read before coming to India how disrespectful it is for foreign women to wear tank tops, and I'm proud to say I still haven't done it. But I can't do this working out in a t-shirt thing for much longer. It just hangs on me and the sweat drips off and I look like I got pushed in the pool.

I've seen only a few women wearing tank tops at the gym, and all of them have been wearing pants. That's the other issue - most women working out there are wearing long pants - not the short athletic shorts I have on.

I hate bearing so much skin, particularly because it feels really culturally insensitive. But it's so freaking hot! So we will see...

Today we met with the doctors and it was fairly overwhelming but exciting. I'll write more about that later.

And jeez, write me some comments already!

love sarah

No comments: