Saturday, August 16, 2008

ryan's hips don't lie


This morning we went swimming and while Ryan was diligently doing her workout and I was playing around in the pool, I happened to catch a glimpse of her breaststroke under the water. It was pretty unbelievable - her hips were actually part of her stroke. I really can't explain it very well, but at the point in her stroke when she would normally kick - her hips jutted forward. Of course, then her legs just kind of followed along, but there was definitely an active movement forward of her hips.

Perhaps this doesn't sound like such a miracle - but I've never seen her swim like that. Before, it was obvious that her hips and legs were just following her upper body on her stroke, but this was definitely different. Her hips were moving forward in an active motion. Does that make any sense?

I watched her do some butterfly and it was the same thing - though already her fly has improved immensely since she's been here. Her whole body is undulating, moving in and out of the water in a wave-like motion - but there it was again: at the point where she should have kicked, her hips popped forward.

It kind of freaked me out a bit! I've been watching her swim for the last 10 years, and I've never seen this before. Crazy... and great! Now if only she could feel it...

In another note, my birthday was fairly tame but still fab. Thank you all for the birthday wishes, they are much appreciated! Be sure to wish Ryan a happy 28th tomorrow (Monday 18 August)!

No comments: